I have an old violin of his, in poor condition, but I thought I would spruce up these two, a plain whistle, and a Piccolo Swanee Whistle.
Like most things then, and as was still the case when I was young in the Fifties, they are both Made In England.
I have found a few identical Swanee whistles on the Net, but the plain whistle seems to be uncommon, no matches for an image search.
These would, I guess, be used to add incidental sounds in numbers harking back to the early Jazz sound, when the idea was to throw in as many crazy sounds a possible, or maybe just as colour, or for novelty items. (p.s. 21/08/16 Example video added below.)
The whistle is chrome plated and quite large, 10.5 x 3.3 cm.
The Swanee is 16 x 3 cm, made of Bakelite, and badly discoloured. It would have been a glossy black, as I found it to be under the end cap, which looks like nickel-plated brass.
The Swanee was a different proposition. There is a sliding stopper inside, and the handle had come loose from it. The internal barrel was rather dirty and the slide action was more of a jump-and-stick action. The end-cap was easily removed as it is simply a friction fit. I also gave that a polish with Brasso.
I gave the barrel a good soak, then a wipe clean. I cleaned off the internal end of the handle, filed it to expose bright metal, and re-tinned it with solder. Then I heated the stopper on the stove element until the solder filling melted, and re-inserted the handle.
I carefully levered out the pin under the mouth-piece, which allowed removal of the insert which directs the blown air past the top hole. This allowed access right through the inner brass tube. I filed an old toothbrush to narrow it enough to insert and give the interior a good scrub.
Then the exterior was given a cut with an abrasive bath cleaner, then a finer finish with Brasso.
When reassembled, the stopper did not slide too well. With bit of research on the Net I found a trombone player suggesting that plain old cold-cream is OK as a lubricant. I found it necessary to work the stopper a bit and clean off the dirty lubricant , then repeat several times, but ended up with a pretty smooth action once the internal dirt was was cleared away.
Here are the results: -