Click here for my tale of how I saved unnecessary disposal of a working product, and got a microwave oven for nothing!
Last weekend, as I walked from work to buy my lunch, I passed a road sign for "TRUCKS CROSSING" which looked like it had been hit by a truck. It was lying on the footpath, broken/torn nearly in two, no sign (ha-ha) of whatever it had been mounted on.
As I walked on, I wondered if it could be of any use, and came up with an idea. On my way back I completed its division into two, and carried the more intact half off back to work, and eventually home.
I had decided I could make a nicely visible, fluorescent orange, reflectorised street number for my letterbox.
The sign has eight layers: -
Now all I have to do is re-mount the box to the post, as I have just noticed the angle-iron brackets are badly rusted.
Click "Read More" for restoration and final result. (12/05/15: - Not yet, restoration just begun!)
I have seen a statement that the LP "...was actually a compilation of songs released as 78rpm discs for Tanza by Bill Wolfgramm and His Islanders. But Walker received co-billing..."
Wikipedia on Wolfgramm.
I note that it also says "He is the former leader of Bill Wolfgramm & His Islanders, a popular island band in New Zealand that played regularly at the Orange Ballroom, a historic dance venue in Auckland."
That is the venue that my grandfather's band also played.
(See my post "Restoring antique wind instruments" 01/10/2014).
Also on Bill: http://www.audioculture.co.nz/people/bill-wolfgramm
Click "Read More" for the exciting details of how the sound clean-up was done....
The other day my mother gave me a couple of old wind instruments that would have belonged to my Grandfather, and been in use around the Thirties and Forties. He was a band leader, and held regular dances at a city venue. It is no mystery where my interest in music originated.
All I did for the whistle was a cautious polish with good old Brasso.
The Swanee was a different proposition. There is a sliding stopper inside, and the handle had come loose from it. The internal barrel was rather dirty and the slide action was more of a jump-and-stick action. The end-cap was easily removed as it is simply a friction fit. I also gave that a polish with Brasso.
I gave the barrel a good soak, then a wipe clean. I cleaned off the internal end of the handle, filed it to expose bright metal, and re-tinned it with solder. Then I heated the stopper on the stove element until the solder filling melted, and re-inserted the handle.
I carefully levered out the pin under the mouth-piece, which allowed removal of the insert which directs the blown air past the top hole. This allowed access right through the inner brass tube. I filed an old toothbrush to narrow it enough to insert and give the interior a good scrub.
Then the exterior was given a cut with an abrasive bath cleaner, then a finer finish with Brasso.
When reassembled, the stopper did not slide too well. With bit of research on the Net I found a trombone player suggesting that plain old cold-cream is OK as a lubricant. I found it necessary to work the stopper a bit and clean off the dirty lubricant , then repeat several times, but ended up with a pretty smooth action once the internal dirt was was cleared away.
Here are the results: -
Repairing old barometer "MADE IN ENGLAND"
The indicating pointer has detached from the shaft that drives it.
Wikipedia tells me it is an aneroid type.
Dismantling reveals the pointer has come away from the hub which is still attached to the shaft.
I am an extremely intelligent, witty and fascinating guy.